Indira Banerjee: Justice Indira Banarjee was born on 24 September 1957. She did her schooling at the Loreto House in Kolkata. She pursued her higher education at the Presidency College, Kolkata. She was enrolled as an advocate on 5th July 1985 and practiced before the Calcutta High Court.
With her elevation, Justice Indira Banerjee becomes the eighth woman judge the Sureme Court of India has had since its inception in 1950.
Indira Banarjee Judicial Carrier
Indira Banerjee is a Judge of the Supreme Court of India, the 8th female Judge in history, and the 3rd female Judge of the Supreme Court of India at present. She is former Chief Justice of Madras High Court, the second woman to hold the position in India, before being elevated as a Judge of the Supreme Court of India.
Indira Banerjee was appointed as a Permanent Judge of the Kolkata High Court on 5th February 2002 and transferred to the Delhi High Court with effect from 8 August 2016.
She was elevated as the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court and assumed charge on 5th April 2017.
Justice Banerjee succeeded Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul as the Chief Justice of the Madras High Court after he was elevated to the Supreme Court of India. She is the second woman to head the chartered High Court, after justice Kanta Kumari Bhatnagar headed the court between June and November 1992.
Here are a few things you must know about Justice Banarjee
- Born on September 24 1957, Indira Banerjee did her schooling at the well known Loreto house in Kolkata. From there, she went on to pursue a bachelor’s degree at the Presidency College and then to Calcutta University for further studies in law.
- She started practicing as an advocate at Calcutta High Court in July 1985.
- She was appointed as a permanent Judge of Calcutta High Court on February 5th, 2002
- In August 2016, she was transferred to Delhi High Court.
- She was then elevated as the chief justice of the Madras High Court in April 2017, succeeding justice Sanjay Krishna Kaul.
- Justice Banerjee, 60 is the second woman to head the chartered High Court, after Justice Kanta Kumari Bhatnagar.
- On July 16, the Supreme Court Collegium recommended Justice Banerjee,s name for elevation to Supreme Court, which was accepted by the center 3rd August 2018.
- With her elevation, Justice Banerji becomes the 8th woman Judge of the Supreme Court has ever had.
- She also makes a new record. With R Banumathi and Justice Indu Malhotra already at the Supreme Court, Justice Indira Banarjee elevation takes the number of woman Judges at Supreme Court at the point to three, a number that has never been achieved since its inception in 1950.
Read More: Jio Fiber All Information At One Place